Tuesday, February 9, 2010

constructivism

von Glasersfled talks about "constructing" knowledge in the sense that it is more than the acquisition. He says that knowledge is that which human reason derives from experience. It fits observations. He also states that "the world we live in" is possible to be understood also as the world of our experience, as we see it, hear it and feel it. I think as far as constructivism is concerned, that "constructing" knowledge is gained through careful observation and then trial and error as opposed to the acquisition of knowledge which as I understand it is learning through what others have carefully observed and tired. Knowledge is such a profound concept when trying to think about it as something tangible and is called a theory because there is no real "proof" to it. There are so many different theories that remain only theories.
To me, if I were to apply constructivism to teaching mathematics, instead of teaching formulas and such I would have my students use objects like the blocks and shapes we use in class. I think that if they could carefully observe how and why concepts work using the blocks and shapes, it would create a better visual for them in their head. I think that it would help them to actually see why things such as division and multiplication work the way they do and not just to memorize them. I think this is compatible with a constructivist perspective because it seems to me to be more of constructing knowledge rather than me teaching and them acquiring.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that you did a good job of giving your paper a scholarly tone. Your topic sentence and arguments work well. I think that you could add a little to how your implication applies to constructivism. Your last sentence starts to do this, but it might be good to be a little more specific. I see the connection too, but you could add something about the fact that the blocks make the experience more of a "hands-on" experience and it allows the students to work through the thoughts on their own. But all in all a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is important to engage your students in activities wherein they can visualize a mathematical process. I definitely think that will be beneficial to them on tests or in learning other tasks. I believe this idea could have been explained more in the way of how it is from a constructivist view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seemed to have a different way of describing constructivism, but it seemed accurate. You did a nice job.

    ReplyDelete