Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What is Mathematics?

What is mathematics?

I believe that mathematics is a system that we, humans, have developed over a long period of time to measure our lives. It is a system that we use to experiment, calculate and discover our everyday life essentials. We experiement with things such as vehicles, food, trees, animals, people, insects, elements, the human body, etc. This all includes mathematics. We calculate speeds, velocities, acelerations, amounts, how much of one substance we need in a certain type of dish, etc and then we discover what it is we need or could use to make it better.


How do I learn mathematics better?

I believe that the best way for me to learn mathematics is through hands-on experiementation. By that I mean, working on problems and discovering answers and different possible ways to solve a problem. In school I first read briefly through the chapter section, then pay close attention in lecture and take good notes and then jump straight into experimenting with the problems. Ive found that the best way for me is to use the formulas or the concepts repeatedly.
This works for me because it is when I am focused in study when I am better able to understand a concept. So while working on a problem, if I get stumped I refer back to the chapter explanations and examples and apply them repeatedly with different problems.


How will my students learn mathematics best?

I think that my studenst will learn best through math games and experimenting. By math games I mean, racing to see who gets the correct answer first. Its a little bit of competition but Ive learned that my mind is more focused when there is a little competition involved and it sticks better with me.
By experimenting I mean working with in private on a certain problem and then putting them on the spot to work it out in front of the class.


What are some of the current practices in school mathematics classrooms that promote students' learning of mathematics?

I am not sure what is meant by current practices, but from what I understand, I think that practices that promote students' success in the mathematics classroom are having TA's and Lab sesssions. Doing the homework and then going over it in Lab helps to ingrain and clarify the homework in the students' mind. The more times the students' see the material the more the understanding comes.


What are some of the current practices in school mathematics classrooms that are detrimental to students' learning of mathematics?

I think that everything in the school is aimed towards the students' success. From what I have seen the only reason why students' fail to learn is because they do not put in the time. I am aware that sometimes the material is very difficult, but there is plenty of help available.
I honestly believe that what you put in is what you get out. The more you put in the greater you will get out and then some.



















What are some of the current practices in school mathematics classrooms that are detrimental to students' learning of mathematics?

5 comments:

  1. Nana,

    I agree with what you said about reading in the book, practicing, and experimenting on your own, just like how you commented that same agreement on my blog. I also really like how you talked about "math games," adding a little bit of competition through racing. That is definitely something I would include under my promotion of dramatic learning.

    Something I would not quite support is that students are failing because they are not taking advantage of the TA's and labs. While I agree that lots of people do not take advantage of those things, which in turn does make it harder for them to succeed, I would have to point out that in the middle school and high school level, the struggles with math do not come from not using their resources, but come from the mindset and teaching style they are presented with from a young age.

    Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that games are a great tool to use when teaching math. Students will actually get excited for math class rather than dread it. I also think that students doing problems on the board will help solidify the concepts they have learned. The only suggestion with that is to provide another way such as group teaching for the students who are very afraid to get in front of the entire class. That way they will still be working on a fear while improving their math skills without losing confidence. This suggestion, of course, would apply to younger students rather than highschool seniors.

    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you had really great responses. Games is a really great idea. I also loved what you said about TAs and lab sessions. That was never available to me in Jr. High or High School, but I know that when I'm a teacher, if I can't find some way to have a TA for class, I will definitely take time out of my day to have help sessions for those to feel behind.

    Great Job! I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a great idea to be able to help your students one-on-one and giving them many opportunities to receive help. It is really helpful when there are resources available to help you. I also think that students do learn well with hands on experiments and games. It is important that students find out what things they are good at and what concepts they struggle with. Perhaps it would be better if the students did not have to perform in front of the entire class. I think that the more timid and shy students may be very nervous about this. Even though mistakes are a part of the learning process, they may feel very embarrassed if they make a mistake in front of the entire class. Perhaps there is a way to play a game or do examples without showing the entire class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciated your detail, careful description of what mathematics is. I agree with you that mathematics is a tool that many people use to organize and make sense of their experiences. Interestingly, if you were to ask someone over in the mathematics department what math is, I'm not sure that they would give a similar answer. Some might say that it is the activity of discovering a certain type of universal truth, while others might say that it really has no meaning or purpose, that it is merely the activity of creating and manipulating symbols in particular ways.

    When you talked about working problems, I wondered about why types of problems you had in mind. Were you thinking of the problems that have you apply a particular solution method you have just learned, or problems for which you have yet to learn a particular method to solve? Do you have a preference for one or the other in your own learning of mathematics? What about for your students?

    ReplyDelete